Monday, February 22, 2010

What does postproduction mean for my art?

Towards the beginning of Bourriaud's book, Postproduction, he outlines different types of postproduction:

Reprogramming existing works
Inhabiting historicized styles & forms
making use of images
using society as a catalog of forms
investing in fashion & media.

My work fits into a number of these categories, but I doubt that Bourriaud would categorize my work as falling under the realm of postproduction. I use computer aided design software (CAD), I reference historical jewelry forms, I use iconic imagery, and I also keep the fashion industry in mind (as it may be a source for future employment.) With all of this in mind, I also think my creations are pretty original- or at least I hope so.

The reason I don't think Bourriaud would consider my work "postproduction" is because he specifically states that the entire idea behind postproduction is conceptual art- a shift away from skill/craft towards ideas. I think there is a bias that if a work is made skillfully, then it is not focused on any ideas. The use of craft in my work is a way to reference my field's history, and an essential to successful functioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment